Welcome to the Rio World. We would like to use this space to record and share our lives here with you, our experiences, celebrations, challenges, and growth. Thank you for following along and encouraging us as we hope to encourage you on your journey.

One request: Each time you view this page, please let us know, either through a comment, an e-mail, or even a hand-written letter. We will show you how meaningful your relationship is to us by responding back promptly. Thank you!


05 June, 2011

Moving On

I find the big, white, blank screen intimidating.  So many times I feel inspired to write about something I have been learning, yet feel overwhelmed by the blank screen.  I know that if I could share my thoughts with you by pen and paper, you would likely read a different story (or at least you would read some story, rather than none at all).  It's been months since I've posted anything to this space.  I apologize for not sharing our journey with you recently.  Much has transpired since we returned to Brazil with our work visas.
            One bit of news that I have been keeping silent from the public is that we have decided to leave Brazil at the end of this school year, now three weeks away.            
           When we returned to the U.S. in February, Z started looking for work in other places.  One reason was that we were unsure whether the visas would actually come through, considering we had been waiting for almost a year already.  Another was that the workload at the school has been overwhelming to Z, and he has found that he has not enjoyed teaching as much when he needs to prepare for five different content-heavy courses.  We all know that Z likes to work hard, but this has been too much.       
            So, Z was asked by a friend who directs a school in L.A. to write his ideal job description.  Z wrote that he would like to teach social studies and coordinate a program for global service learning.  Soon after, he found out about an opening with exactly this job description at The American School in Switzerland (TASIS), a school that he has been interested in for some time.  To make a long story short, he turned down an extremely generous offer in L.A. so that we could both accept jobs in Switzerland instead!  We have decided to exchange our doce de leite for chocolate bars, our rice and beans for fondue, our sea views for lake views, and our palm trees and mountains for--oh, but wait!  There are actually palm trees in this part of Switzerland!  So, we should feel right at home there.  TASIS kindly offered me a place to teach EAL (English as an additional language), focusing on academic reading and writing at the upper intermediate level, so we will both be able to contribute our talents to the community.
            Now that I have shared that, I also want to share how much I have enjoyed experiencing Brazil.  Just when I think I have a grasp of what this country represents, I meet people from a different background or visit a different region, and my equilibrium is thrown off.  I think, These people also call themselves brasileiro?  What a diverse nation in its peoples, cultures, and environments!  How much there is yet to explore!  I am sorry to be leaving so soon.
A rookery at sunset in the Amazon
            Perhaps the most rewarding accomplishment as we wrap up our time here is how our characters have been shaped by our experiences here.  When we meet again, we will tell you some of what we have learned about humility, love, and priorities.  Some people back home tell me that they notice a change in me.  One Biblical metaphor is that those who remain in Christ will produce fruit, like a tree that is healthy.  Jesus said:

 "I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he trims clean so that it will be even more fruitful….No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine.  Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me" (John 15:1, 2, 4)    

Paul wrote to the Galatians that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (5:22).  And I am actually bearing fruit!  This is proof that Christ lives in me and that the Spirit of God is teaching me and using me.  This gives me peace and makes all the trials of this past year worth it.  On the flip side, I am aware of my weaknesses and where I need to keep growing.  Even though it hurts when my Father trims off the fruitless branches, I will suffer the pain.  I know that He will not give up on growing me into a beautiful tree that produces fruit bearing His name, so juicy and sweet that others will eat it and maybe even desire to grow God's fruit, too!  You never know where a little bird will deposit the seeds from the fruit he has eaten, but if the conditions are right, another tree will grow.
            This little bird is taking her Brazilian passion fruit to Switzerland!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's always so refreshing to read your posts! (I'm sorry I didn't comment on the last one.) Your thoughts about trials and the pruning process resonated with me and reminded me of a talk from this past April on the same topic.
I can't wait to see both of you this summer!

Post a Comment

If you have read this post, please respond. Contact with you means a lot to us.